Friday, March 27, 2009

Eva Herr


Not that I wish to be morbid, but this IS family history.

Eva Herr died at quite a young age, at least by today's standards - she was in her mid 40's I believe. Mind you by then she had given birth to at least 15 children! I say at least because a few years back I recall a conversation I had with my Aunt Jeana, Peter and Eva's daughter. She indicated that in addition to the 15 children there were one or two that did not survive. This came as quite the revelation because growing up we were all told of the 15 and that was it. Her opinion was that it may have been more like 17-19 children in total.

The top image, that is written in Russian, was penned by Peter on the back of a photo of Eva's casket in state in the family living room, a tradition quite common at the time. The lower image, written in English, was interpreted by a professor of Russian history who my cousin Tom Heckenbach knew and had offered his assistance. Tom was told at the time that the handwriting Peter used was not common among the general populace, but more in line with that taught and used in the Czar's inner circles.

1 comment:

  1. When the state archives moved to the building I work in I started doing some genealogy on the Herr side. I stopped when my boys started school and I had to shorten my lunch. I've got a bit of information though which I can dig up. It all got boxed up when it was put on hold. My understanding was that some of both Peter and Eva's family moved to the U.S. ahead of them. They had to wait until after Peter's father died. Then they joined other family members in Kansas. Eva's younger sister moved with them. One of Peter's brothers died a pretty bad death in the AT&SF shops. Their house was torn down after the river flooded and Sardou bridge was rebuilt. It was in Little Russia and most of the houses look pretty much alike there. The block of houses is still there, their house was probably one or two doors down from the end one left after the rebuilt the bridge. I know he had a summer kitchen and that he raised pigeons. I'll look for what I have. Lois

    ReplyDelete